Sunday, November 12, 2006

Anne of Green Gables

This weekend I was reminded of how much I loved reading the Anne of Green Gables books which I did for the first time just four years ago. My friend Ami loves them and somehow introduced me to them and so I read at least the first three books from the series.

Today I decided to start rereading the first book. As I pulled my copy off the shelf I found the handwritten inscription on the first blank page which was written by Ami. She gave me this sweet collectors edition copy for my 23rd birthday, about a month after my mom passed away. It was a very fun and well-timed gift. In the inscription she referenced a particular quote from page 377. It was so applicable to my life then and as I read it now it spoke to me in the same way. Sort of eery and cool, eh? Here it is:

"I shall give my life here my best, and I believe it will give its best to me in return. When I left Queen's my future seemed to stretch out before me like a straight road. I thought I could see along it for many a milestone. Now there is a bend in it. I don't know what lies around the bend, but I'm going to believe that the best does. It has a fascination of its own, that bend, Marilla. I wonder how the road beyond it goes-what there is of green glory and soft, checkered light and shadows-what new landscapes-what new beauties- what curves and hills and valleys further on."

4 comments:

Dave, Ami, Hadleigh Claire, Annelise, and True said...

Yes!!!!! Funny, because Hadleigh and I are reading Anne together. We haven't gotten to that part yet.

sringsmuth said...

You know, I've never read that book but I think it's going to be next on my list now. (mental note: I need to make a list) Six years ago I never thought I would go back to Lincoln, and a few months later I never thought I would go back to Minnesota, and, well...life is funny, isn't it? As long as you're doing the Lord's work, you've really got nothing to worry about, though...

kate said...

I love that image - of a bend in the road. Courntey and I watching Anne of Avonlea this week too...

Mary Bell said...

jess,
I love that book, I have always wanted to go to Prince Edward Island since I saw the movies too!!

hope you are doing well!!

mary bell