Friday, June 23, 2006

update #3

"Hear my cry, O God, listen to my prayer; from the end of the earth I call to you, when my heart is faint. Lead me to the rock that is higher than I; for you are my refuge, a strong tower against the enemy." Psalm 61:1-3

This verse has been such an encouragement to me as the past week or so since I Iast wrote has been full of challenges. My computer no longer works, so am back to using the internet about 1-2 times a week. We were having problems with our cell phones (it's ok now though). I got really sick (throwing up, etc) like I haven't been in years. About 7 out of the 10 of us have thrown up now and have had to miss at least a day of ministry. Three have had sinus infections. Carly has been in pain on and off since we've been here. Finally today I took her to the hospital. She's on meds and is resting. We are praying they will help. Throughout all of this we have started a routine of ministry in the slums and it weighs on all of us the extreme needs of the people we are building relationships with. Verses like this psalm are like a soothing cool stream when the days seem sometimes so full of hardships that attempt to make our lives dry up like the desert. The Lord is with us and I am learning to rely on Him for our every need.

On Mondays, Tuesdays, and Wednesdays for ministry in Kibera I have been placed in the "health dept" with another one of my teammates, Matthew, who is only 20 but is headed off to med school this fall. Matthew and I work with Mary Wangeshi who is another sister in law of the pastor's. Wangeshi (that's what everyone calls her b/c there's a boatload of Mary's here) heads up the HIV/AIDS ministry which includes support groups, educational programs, nutrition programs, and other community health orientated things. She will also go visit clients in their homes and be a listening ear in their times of need. Matthew and I basically shadow her and help her in what she does. It has been amazing. I've learned a whole lot and have enjoyed it immensely. She is HIV+ herself so she has such a repore with the people. We have also gotten to build relationships with a couple named Michael and Mary Angela who just started coming to the support group and are HIV+. They have two daughters, Sheila and Sylvia and I believe it's Sheila who is also HIV+. They are well educated and speak English wonderfully. They used to be well off until Michael's job was lost when they found out he was HIV+. Now they live in Kibera and are hoping just to be able to pay their rent there.

We also have been doing ministry in two other slum areas and at a girls shelter that is close to where we live as is associated with the church. So our days remain busy.

Thank you so much for all of your emails. I am trying to read all of them as fast as I can. Your notes mean alot even if I can't always personally respond. I have also included my mailing address below so you have it. I can get letters/cards especially but small packages are probably good too. Any kinds of candy, other non-perishable food, or gatorade (powdered kind you mix w/water) is great.

But prayers are always the most needed. So please be in prayer as the Lord leads for anything mentioned here.

In my last update I also mentioned how great my team is especially in relating to the Kenyans and they have such servant hearts. I have been so blessed to have them. They are also quite funny. So at the end I will also include some funny ancedotes that have happened so far that I hope you enjoy.

Will write again soon,
Jess

Mailing address:
Jessica Ringsmuth
KRPC
Box 1229-00505
Karen, Kenya
East Africa
Airmail

Funny/interesting things:
-Being the crayon police in Muthiga for bible club, and having all the children ask for white crayons. We have no idea why they wanted to color with white. But they loved coloring so much we had to physically remove the crayons from some of their hands when we had to leave.
-We found out we can pay the nuns to do our laundry (we live in a guest house on a convent). But it's a big cultural feux pas if you give them your pants (underwear). One of the girls on my team accidentially included one of her pairs of pants recently. When she discovered it, she exclaimed "ohhhh nooo, now everyone has seen them and they weren't even my good kind."
-Starting to ride the same matatus so much that now you know the Christian rap songs they play.
-Being asked to draw a bus when I'm like the worse artist in the world. I found out I also accidentally made the bus on the wrong side of the road, and that the driver I drew looked Somalian and not Kenyan. Hmmm...but the Kenyans were entertained.
-Listening to kids introduce themselves like this "My name is David, and I am a boy". (A lot of the kids have short hair b/c it prevents disease so it's not very obvious if they are boys or girls).
-Having the kids press the indiglo button on my watch and freak out while exclaiming "TV!! TV!!" (We don't totally know why they think it's TV quite yet).
-Being complimented more then once by Kenyans who say they like "my walk." They all say that's a good thing. I hope so.
-Each one of my teammates have taken turns doing testimonies each night. I've found out that one girl has a python named Sallie Polka Dot, two personally know Harper Lee, one is the biggest Gator fan ever and really has reflexes like Chuck Norris, and various other interesting info. We are a crazy bunch.



Do you Yahoo!?
Next-gen email? Have it all with the all-new Yahoo! Mail Beta.

No comments: