I also found out that it should only take about nine days to get mail. I got an awesome card from my dad today that was mailed on June 1. Pastor brought it to me today and he said, yeah, you'll get stuff in less then two weeks. So if you want to send something, especially like a letter or card, I should get it!!
Today the interns and the translators and I went into downtown Nairobi for a tour and then to the Junction to eat lunch at the Java House where they have unbelievably awesome mango shakes.
I am learning that everything in Kenya to an American is like a major adventure. We take the public transportation everywhere, which is these 14 passenger vans called matatus that are crazily decorated and don't always look exactly alike. This was my first time riding one because they always hire private vans for groups that come for only 1-2 weeks. It was quite the experience. I am super glad for the Kenyans that are with us. They negotiate the price (they'll try to charge westerners more) and make sure we get on and off at the right places. The city is also so crowded. So you have to keep your eyes on the back of the translators head to make sure you're walking and going in the right places. You also have to be super careful crossing the road because they drive on the left side of the road and the traffic doesn't always stay in the lanes. You can pass anyone (bikers, cars, walkers, ricksaw drivers, etc) anytime. Pastor Imbumi quizzed us today if we knew which way to look when we cross the road. You look RIGHT just in case you ever need to know. The translators thought all of this was pretty funny. I would love to learn eventually what they think of all of this.
Also all of the matatus play loud music that's mostly gospel and Christian rap that a lot of Kenyas seems to listen to as well. So the matutus usually have sweet bass which is cool but our team never knows any of the songs. So of course today on one of the matutus they played a popular Nelly song that our whole team knew and only one Kenyan knew that was on the matutu with us. We decided that we're not very good missionaries =). We always get home and just talk and talk about the things we saw and have a good laugh. You have to laugh so much in cross-cultural experiences I think!! Plus I am with college students so they are REALLY funny.
Anyway, I just had to email to share these things today. Thanks again for all your prayers!!
Jess =)
P.S. I am using a list that has many people on it (family, friends, etc) but if you find out somebody is not getting these and wanted to, feel free to forward.
__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around
http://mail.yahoo.com
No comments:
Post a Comment