Sunday, May 21, 2006

Edmund

I have finally gotten around to reading the Chroncles of Narnia series. I wanted something lighter and refreshing to read while I was in Kenya because reading is a big way that I relax and remove myself from the world for while.

Most of the people I know have already read them. So it's been fun telling people that I'm just starting and sharing my perspective. Everyone's so excited for me that I'm reading them.

I just started on The Lion, the Witch and The Wardrobe one last week. Lisa was telling me that it's better to read them in the order in which C.S. Lewis wrote them, as opposed to the actual order. So the LWW book is the second in the series, but I'm still reading it first.

I am quite intrigued by this Edmund character. He is the third oldest out of the four main human characters in the book. He stumbled upon Narnia after following his younger sister, Lucy into the Wardrobe. When he came out of the Wardrobe and into Narnia, he couldn't find Lucy right away so he started wandering around and happened upon the Witch, who is really bad news.

Throughout the conversation he has with the witch, she starts feeding him this Turkish Delight stuff. Edmund doesn't know it's enchanted, which means that anyone who eats this candy wants more and more and would keep eating it even until they died if no one stopped them. The witch makes Edmund promise something that basically means sure harm to his brothers and sisters, but in exchange, he would get to eat more turkish delight. C.S. Lewis says this about Edmund "but he still wanted to taste that Turkish Delight again more than he wanted anything else."

It made me think, what is my deepest desire? And what would I be willing to sacrifice to see that desire fullfilled? Is it really worth it?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

YEA for Chronicles of Narnia. I'm so excited you are reading them. Such wisdom my dear friend! Thanks for sharing it.

Molly

CP said...

I will add myself to those who are so excited that you are reading them. I've read them like 10 times, I LOVE THEM!!!! There is much to be gleaned from Edmund, you're right- it only gets better from here!!