Thursday, November 10, 2011

MARR Banquet


One of the things I love most about working at MARR is the fact that they are all about giving back to others, which is a hard thing in a tough economy when we still need to pay the bills and provide services that keep alcoholics sober. Even though comparatively to other residential treatment centers of our caliber our costs to clients and families are much lower, it’s still quite a sacrifice for many. However, several times throughout the year we have events that allow us to raise money for our scholarship fund, which gives partial scholarships out to new clients who qualify. For many patients, it’s the lifesaving tool that allows them access to a facility such as ours. I am so proud to be able to have donated to this along with a bunch of other employees and alumni clients and their families.

In November of each year, MARR hosts their annual banquet which raises a bulk of the funds we use for the following year’s scholarships. Usually all the employees and their families come and it’s a ton of fun. Occasionally I get tired of having to go to events like this by myself, so I found myself a hot date in my cousin Rochelle who accompanied me (see picture for our combined immense hotness). I chose Rochelle as she is an excellent mingler and she is all about learning about things like addictions. We got ready for the event at her house and said goodbye to Stephen and the kids before we went. The kids were speechless when we saw us- either because our hotness or technically….it could have been the Papa John’s favorite special with bacon pizza that they were enjoying.

We had a great time! Rochelle was super sweet in that she said it meant a lot to her to get to meet the people I work with and get to see more of what I do every day. Basically the banquet consists of a nice meal, a recovery-related speaker, and then a few other awards and announcements are made. I saw a lot of former clients too which is always awesome because we never really totally know what happens after they leave. There were about 600 people there which is low. Most of the time we get about 800-1000 people that come, but we actually ended up raising more money this year than we ever have before. It was awesome!!! It’s cool to see God answer prayers in a tangible way like that for us.

In the three years I have worked at MARR, I personally know of three clients that have died from issues directly related to their addiction. Most of my coworkers who have been around longer know many, many more. I felt like in that moment, we were doing a small thing to celebrate those that are in recovery and to make a difference for the next person so they can experience the miracle for themselves.

I'll include here one of my favorite prayers that I've learned since being around at MARR. It was written by St. Francis, and used in AA rooms in conjunction with Step 11:

Lord, make me a channel of thy peace,
that where there is hatred, I may bring love;
that where there is wrong, I may bring the spirit of forgiveness;
that where there is discord, I may bring harmony;
that where there is error, I may bring truth;
that where there is doubt, I may bring faith;
that where there is despair, I may bring hope;
that where there are shadows, I may bring light;
that where there is sadness, I may bring joy.

Lord, grant that I may seek rather to comfort than to be comforted;
to understand, than to be understood;
to love, than to be loved.
For it is by self-forgetting that one finds. It is by forgiving that one is forgiven.
It is by dying that one awakens to Eternal Life.

No comments: