Saturday, June 14, 2008

Waiting

Ever since I took my National Counselor Exam on April 12, I have been anxiously awaiting for my scores to come in the mail. I have to pass this test to begin the process of becoming a licensed counselor through the state which like gives you credibility and employers actually want to look at your resume. So yeah, it was a big deal. I studied and studied and had like a ton of people praying for me and I felt fairly confident that I passed, but you never know.

It was supposed to take 4-6 weeks to get them back. The six week mark came and went and we went to Mexico. My first thought on the flight back was about those dad gum scores. Did they come? Did I pass?

We got home and I tore through the mail, feeling a hugh rush when I saw the "NBCC" logo, which is the organization that I took the test through. The envelope was soon open and I saw the word: PASS. Ahhhhh!!!!! It was such a good feeling. I did a little dance in the kitchen.

The scores came with a bunch of other instructions in what to do next now that I've proven, at least academically, that I can be a counselor. One of the papers said that I had to wait another 8 weeks for the NBCC to do everything they need to do to get my scores to the licensing board, which means more waiting before I can get my associate counselors license. What? Eight more weeks? I was a bit disappointed. I am so ready to get that credential!!

It really was a good reality check though in how much I was just focusing on this one aspect of my counseling career. Really, God can find me a job regardless and I'm in the same boat as the hundreds of others who graduated in May and are trying to be gainfully employed.

God has a lot to say about waiting in the Bible. And isn't it true that we're always waiting for something? How often has the thought of "I'll be fine once _____happens" entered my mind? What would it take to be calm and peaceful just for today? Fortunately, the Bible also has a lot to say about that. This process is frustrating sometimes, but I'm learning so much about how to focus on God's presence and not on what I want to fix or change in my life all the time. I can be complete and happy in Him if I keep my focus strong. It's also helping me to wait for the harder things that seem less tangible, like marriage and kids and a new car.

One of my fave verses on this topic:
"For to set the mind on the flesh is death, but to set the mind on the Spirit is life and peace." ~Romans 8:6
"

No comments: