In this interim of waiting to find a full-time job, the Lord has provided two part-time jobs for me to continue gaining experience, keep me busy and off the streets, and fill my hands with some much needed dough!
On Monday nights I head up to New Hope Counseling Center which is located in Cumming (a name that everyone except Atlantans seems to think is dirty, and hilarious..whatev), about 35 miles from my house. With my car's air conditioning not really working up to par and not having a radio, I make the best of the drive up 400 North with the windows down and ipod blaring my new podcast downloads. BTW- has anyone ever heard Cartalk on NPR or the podcast of the show? It's so hilarious. People call up and talk to Click and Clack about their car problems. They are just like me too. This guy called up yesterday to talk about a noise his 1993 Toyota Tercell was making upon acceleration, which Click and Clack said sounded like grinding walnuts (the guy actually made an audio tape of it and played it on the air). The hilarious part- it had been going on for three years!!
Anyway, I digress. Last night was my second night helping to lead counseling groups for this center. All the patients there are mandated to counseling through Forsyth County's Drug Court program. All my clients in the group are trying to avoid felony drug charges and will be in counseling with us for 18 months. You would think I would be super nervous about leading the group, but what I'm the most nervous about is the drug screens. When the drug screens are on the schedule (it's random, no one knows till you get there), I take all the woman and one by one go into the bathroom with them and do the screen. It's so we have eyewitness accounts that they are not tampering with the urine. I had to do it last night for the first time and it went amazingly well. They all have good attitudes about it and even helped me if I missed a step (it has to be labeled correctly, etc). I'm not like, exactly prepared to invade their space like that, but you know, in this business I'm just learning to roll with it.
Then the group went off without a hitch!! Score. I think I'm getting better at all of this!!
1 comment:
ohmystars. And I love Car Talk. You should listen to This American Life as well.
Post a Comment