Monday, December 24, 2007

Backwards Christmas






This month has been full of celebrating birthdays, going to showers, doing some Christmas shopping, and working with clients to help them cope over the holidays. It's amazing how for so many people the holidays are just crummy. I've had my share of crumminess, and it takes a lot of strength (usually the kind that comes from the divine) to get through them. I had my clients do a holiday safety plan that my supervisor recommended, which helps them to be aware of situations that could trigger grief and depression and then they write out their healthy coping ideas.

At this time of year I usually am filled with mixed emotions. I have a huge family that loves me that I will miss there in Minnesota this year as I will be on vaca '07 with Amy Mo, Christina, and Laura Rod in California. They are all turning 30 this month and wanted to do something fun. They're letting me go (I am only 28 and 3 months) if I pretend that I'm 30. I'm really excited to go on this trip and do something different. Getting out of the south. Seeing some new stuff. Meeting Jim Johnson a.k.a. Vicky at Alcatraz (10 pts to anyone who knows the movie reference). I've only been to L.A. so I look forward to seeing the new sights in San Diego and San Francisco. Tonight I head to the Morrison's to celebrate Christmas with them. I was telling my aunt Tanya about how my usual tradition was to go with her family for Christmas morning breakfast, but this year I am going with the Morrison's to Waffle House!! So it will be a fun but backwards Christmas since I will be full embracing the southern roots this year.

One of the highlights this months besides getting an opportunity to relax a bit and hang out with people, is playing on a flag football team. My friend Dan organized it. I was soooo stoked because it's a short season that last basically the exact period of time that I am off of school. It's been really fun getting to play outside and I've gotten to meet some fun new people. What a breath of fresh air. Quite literally fresh, when we played last week it was 40 degrees and super windy, but we still managed to win a game.

I've attached a view pictures here to capture all the activities of the past few weeks!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Woo hoo! Waffle house and VACA '07! Christmas can't get better than that.

sringsmuth said...

Woman...Wo-man.....Woooooo-MAN.

Your blog is neat,
I like to read,
Makes me laugh so very hard!

Glad to hear your Christmas went well, Jess. I would write more but I am literally becoming unconscious as I type this. Time...for...bed...

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas Jessie Girl!

We missed your smile this past Christmas, but what a time we had. 39 of us this year on six banquet tables having a wonderful italian lunch.....the cousins exchanged gifts then we set up Jack's Christmas gift a ping pong table and someone brought Guitar hero! A pong tournament was underway $5.00 in and Uncle Andy was the Champion......Many laughs watching both ends of the basement.....We had a beautiful snow fall and the little ones got to go sledding (including Joe) so all were very happy.....enjoy your time in San Deigo and RELAX! Love you, Aunt Deb

CP said...

You know what this room needs? A life size poster of Atlantic City.