Friday, May 27, 2005

The Fellowship Mobile


I think most of us can look back with fond memories of our first car. Mine was a 1985 Mazda 626- the "luxury" addition of it's day. It did have a sweet sunroof and power everything. Anyway, I bought that car from a place called Bob's Auto Ranch that was located on Lexington and Country Road J (I think) in Lino Lakes, MN, for a whopping $840.00. Two days after I bought it, the gas tank starting leaking and the ignition module went out. About a week later it was ready to go and I drove it all the way to Panama City Beach, FL by myself with no air conditioning and no radio. And the only side effect was my quite LARGE hair from driving with the windows down. I kept driving the car throughout college, which was when it was given the name "the fellowship mobile". Because the radio never worked, people who rode with me were forced to talk to one another. It was pretty cool, and I got used to the silence. Plus with the windows constantly being down due all the humid weather down here, it took all the energy you had to hear one another anyways.

After graduation I started making "the big bucks" at a missions organization. Oh man was I rolling in it in comparison to my $90 every two weeks paycheck I got as a student tour guide before. One of the first things I knew I had to do was get a grown up car. So I got a pretty nice 1995 Nissen Altima and been driving it ever since. I started noticing though early on in my relationship with this new car that it had a lot of similarities to the old one. Random things would go wrong with no warning. I got stranded a few times. It started to get quirky. Finally this past winter the radio began to stop working on cold mornings. When it was below 45 degrees in the morning, the radio wouldn't work when I started the car. It would on warmer ones. Then it started only working in the afternoons. Then last Monday, the radio stopped working in it's entirety. Man, I sure hope my friends are ready for this. We're about to REALLY get to know each other. Since I've told you all about my car's ghetto-ness, I've decided to post a picture of a car that is exactly the opposite of mine- fun, cool, fast, and way special. It's a 1986 Chevrolet Camero that my brother built by himself. Never mind the horrendous picture of me. Just gaze upon this fine example of pure motorized heaven.

No comments: