Monday, July 04, 2011

Peachtree Road Race 2011

July 4, 2011 marked my 6th attempt at running the Peachtree Road Race, which, in case you didn't know, is the largest 10K race in the entire world with over 60,000 participants. So it's not surprising that it's a little nuts.

Basically, I hate running it. However, if you live in Atlanta and can feasibly move your body for about 1 hour and 30 minutes, it is completely worth doing it. Because this race is such a big freakin' deal, there are a TON of spectators lining Peachtree St in Buckhead/Midtown. These spectators aren't just cheering, but they are pretty unique. For example, you may run by the priest at mile 2 sprinkling you with holy water, the people handing out free beer and donuts, the people throwing free T-shirts into the crowd, and my personal favorite this year, the people throwing cheese balls into people's mouths. I was 1 for 2 on the cheese balls.

One of the things I enjoyed the most this year was getting to participate with my cousin Rochelle, who loves running and is quite good at it. This was her first experience doing it which made mine so much more fun. After the race we went to Fox Brothers BBQ for linner (lunch/dinner) which was followed by the Braves game and fireworks. It was a brilliant day.

Somewhere around mile three I began to get teary eyed, thinking about how I dread doing this race each year, but yet it's become so much a part of my life here in Atlanta with a lot of fun memories. The tears were about probably not being around next year for this, since it's likely I'll be in Ethiopia by then. It's these moments that I just have to swallow and remind myself that is not my reality right now, and to savor these times with my friends and family.

At the end of the race, Rochelle and Stephen surprised me by cheering for me from the crowd, and this fun pic was taken (below) as I turned around with wonder that someone was screaming my name and I actually heard it.


The other pic is of Rochelle and I in our Peachtree shirts, which are always a badge of honor to wear for the rest of the day.

1 comment:

Linda said...

there's the Great Ethiopian Run here every November, 10K, great fun.