Thursday, July 12, 2007

There is more then one way to be happy

Last weekend I was one of the thousands of folks who attended a wedding on 07/07/07.

This particular wedding was for a friend of mine from my school. We've had a few classes together and have always enjoyed great discussions about the class and our own personal lives. The wedding was taking place at a church about 10 minutes from my house, and I went alone primarly because I am not dating anyone and also because I wasn't sure who else from my school would have been invited. I assumed I would know no one but the bride at the wedding.

In these types of situations it really bugs me to be single. What I mean is, the kind of situation where I'm attending something and it's implied that a date would be important. It's culturally awkward to go to a social function, not knowing hardly anyone, on your own. I was excited about the wedding but was sort of unsure of how the reception especially would go, which is when the "alone" part would come in more obviously.

As it turns out, the usher who led me down the aisle ended up dropping me off at a pew where I immediately saw Becky, a girl I do know from school who is awesome and very friendly. She also came alone. At the reception, we then spotted Cheryl from my school who also came alone and sat with us at a table. Not only did I not feel alone at this point with two other gals to talk to, but I was able to talk with Cheryl about short-term missions for a long while. Score. That's a pretty darn good reception right there!

Last Friday I also found out that my grandmother (mom's mom) had surgery to relieve some blockage in arteries in her neck. I was kind of anxious about it and prayed about it a lot. I'm fortunate to still have all four of my grandparents alive and one great-grandmother. My grandmother pulled through just fine, praise God! I called her yesterday to see how she was recovering. I had a nice chat with her, my grandpa, and granny (great-grandmother). I always enjoy the conversation with them, but inevitably two questions are usually brought up: "are you dating anyone?" and "when are you moving back to Minnesota?". I know it's their way of saying they love me and miss me.

All of this has reminded me of how much God provides for me in my singleness. I have so many friends, I have family that lives 30 minutes away in Marietta, I have family far away that loves me and emails and calls, and I have God who promises to never leave me or forsake me.

I would be lying if I said I wouldn't love to get flowers or a great free meal, or the company that a boyfriend or spouse would provide. But I don't feel like I am lacking companionship at all.

Happiness can be found in either, which is what I meant by saying, "there is more then one way to be happy."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

AMEN. You said it perfectly in your last 2 paragraphs. I love you and can't wait till you come to Minnesota for a visit. Hopefully soon.

Love,
Ann

Anonymous said...

heehee, we get the "when are you moving back to mn" question all the time, too. i think that falls under "you know when you're from mn when..."

sringsmuth said...

Nice post, Jess. I was just talking with Matt about how you were the original Atlanta-based Ringsmuth. Well, the first one in Georgia, I guess, since Berry isn't exactly Atlanta (or is it? I've never been there...). And now look! You've practically planted an entire subset of the family down there. Nice job!

In other words, the question should really be, when are we moving down there?